The next President’s Volunteer Team event is fast approaching. We will be supporting The Mustard Seed scheduled for this Sunday, March 31. There will be two shifts, 4:00 – 6:30 pm and 6:30 – 8:30 pm, at The Mustard Seed Shelter, located at 7025 44 St. SE. We need 20 volunteers in total, 10 per shift.
For your convenience, I have included the following information from The Mustard Seed.
While we have appealed to our students for support of this event, we are 3 volunteers short for the 4:00 – 6:30 shift, Dinner Prep & Clean. I would like to ask the wider university community for support if this is something that interests you.
Please feel free to contact my assistant, Kim Bourque, if you would like to volunteer for this event.
This is an important opportunity for the university to give back to the community.
I hope you can join me for this important event.
Shelter Kitchen Health and Safety
For guests, volunteers, SEED works staff, Fine Ops and other Community Service Workers
We are excited and count it a blessing when people get involved in being a part of the care we express to our guests. However, we also realize that the safety for our volunteers and our guests needs to be a priority. As part of our commitment to excellence in providing quality service and meals for our guests, please take note of the following health and safety guidelines:
- We would ask that if you are suffering from any illness (cold, flu, etc.) that you refrain from being in the Food preparation area. If it is discovered you are ill and working in the kitchen area, you will be asked to leave.
- If you have an open wound (stitches or not), please make sure the wound is properly dressed before helping. If it is on your hands, please make sure you wear protective gloves for ANY work in the kitchen.
- If you recovering from an existing physical injury with physical limitations (sprained or broken limb, etc.), please speak with the Team Lead or Manager regarding your disability prior to beginning any work. If the injury is deemed unsafe by the Team Lead, we would ask that you not participate in any kitchen duties as any significant physical limitation(s) may pose a threat to yourself and to others.
- For your health, safety and consideration of our guests we ask that you adhere to the following dress code:
- Come dressed in fairly casual, comfortable loose fitting clothing that can get dirty
- NO open toed shoes or sandals will be permitted
- No bandanas as their meaning can be misinterpreted
- No clothing with profanity or inappropriate messages and / or graphics
- We require that all people working in the kitchen wear a hair net which will be provided
- Please dress modestly (no short skirts, halter tops or midriff bearing clothing) Shirts with sleeves (short or long) must be worn in the kitchen – no tank tops
We thank you for your understanding and cooperation in keeping our Food Services area operating with excellence.
Short-notice kitchen cancellations: cancelling an entire group booking with less than one week’s notice makes it difficult for the kitchen prepare and serve the meal. Please try to send as many volunteers possible, even if it is only a portion of your group’s registered numbers.
Everyone needs a good meal after a long day! Help us give that much-needed meal to our guests by volunteering in our shelter kitchen helping with the prepping or serving of dinner.
Dinner Prep & Clean: Max. 10 people
4:00pm – 6:30pm
Volunteers will work alongside of our kitchen team to prepare the evening meal for our guests. This could be making salad, cooking pasta, buttering buns, chopping vegetables, etc. This group will also help tidy the kitchen before dinner service begins.
Dinner Service: Max. 10 people
6:30pm – 8:30pm
Our meals are served cafeteria style. Volunteers will help to plate the meals so that our guests can come up and take them, as well as serving coffee, checking meal tickets, and bussing tables as needed.
- Volunteers must be at least 12 years old.
- Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Volunteers under 18 must have a Youth Waiver signed.