Hello StMU Students,
Here is your #2 Friday update on what’s happening as we prepare for the fall 2020 academic term.
This week the Facilities team has been hard at work assembling plexiglass barriers to keep students who will be attending in-person classes safe and creating socially distanced study spaces for students needing them between an in-person and remote class.
Despite a global pandemic, we do not want to lose sight of caring for our planet. StMU Facilities has gone the extra mile to act sustainably by manufacturing their own disinfectant wipes using the COVID disinfectant approved by Alberta Health Services, reusable containers, and disposable wipes. Over the course of the COVID pandemic, this will keep a whole lot of plastic out of our landfills!
We have also been getting ready to welcome our new students through New Student Orientation and First Year Experience. Just as you are practicing flexibility, so are we! The First Year Experience team is planning in-person and remote options for New Student Orientation so everyone can take part.
A new feature of these Friday updates: at the bottom you will find some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that have been coming in from students. Keep those questions coming and we will keep sending the information you need.
StMU Bookstore and Getting Your Textbooks – in-Person Shopping or Online Shopping and Curbside Pickup
The bookstore will be open from 9am to 3pm, Monday to Friday, beginning Monday August 24th. There are some important safety measures we have now in place that we would like to share with you.
- Everyone must wear a mask to be in the bookstore
- We will be limiting only 3-4 customers at a time. If the store is at capacity, we require students to form a line outside the store respecting the 2m rule.
- Once you have purchased your required items we ask that you leave the store.
- Please limit your touch points while in the store.
- The only entrance will be on the west side of the building, facing the parking lots.
- You can also shop at our website: https://shop.stmu.ca/ . Orders are processed within 1 to 3 business days depending on quantity. You will receive a separate email with instructions on curb side pickup once the order is complete.
D2L Brightspace Online Platform Access and How-To Tutorial
As we draw closer to the start of term, I am sure that you have questions about how to access and navigate your online classes. One of our current students who had great success using the online platform for the Spring term has put together a short tutorial video for you so you can see the D2L Brightspace platform and familiarize yourself with its functions. Once you have access to your classes on the D2L platform, you can then start taking a look around the platform. In the video description you can find time stamps for the different tools and functions of your online courses.
Please visit the following link to access the video tutorial hosted by Josh Shepard, Vice-President Internal, Student Legislative Council: https://youtu.be/eEa5xEfQjeo
Note: You will be able to access your D2L course page 2 weeks before the start of your first class.
Course Formats for Fall
There are 3 formats for fall courses:
- Face to Face: in-person courses offered on campus (not very many but for content that cannot be offered any other way)
- Virtual at Booked Time: at the time booked in your schedule. Accessed through D2L Brightspace
- Hybrid Virtual: Some of the class at the time booked in your schedule and some to be completed at your own pace.
Your faculty will be emailing you about the first class: how you are meeting for your first class and at what time. Stay tuned.
Face-to-Face On-Campus Courses – Updated
There have been a few small changes to the courses that will be offered on campus. We don’t expect there to be more changes but if things change, we will update you as soon as possible. We know you are trying to plan your life for the fall and we are committed to get you as much information as we can as soon as we have it.
The following courses will be held on campus this fall in order to deliver the course rigour and adequately cover the content.
BIOL 231 Lab
BIOL 313 Lab
BIOL 341 Lab
BIOL 375 Lab
BIOL 413 Lab
CHEM 201 Lab
CHEM 351 Lab
EDCM 405-1 1 meeting only: Tuesday, Sept 15th Lecture, 8:30 – 10:00 am; Lab 1, 10:00 – 11:30 am.
EDCM 405-2 1 meeting only: Tuesday, Sept 15th – Lecture, 1:00 – 2:30 pm; Lab 1, 2:30 – 4:00 pm.
EDCM 405-3 1 meeting only: Wednesday, Sept 16th – Lecture, 1:00 – 2:30 pm; Lab 1, 2:30 – 4:00 pm.
*See notes below in FAQ
- Circulation: The library will be resuming the circulation of physical materials beginning August 24th through contactless pick up ONLY. Requests for materials may be placed through your library account using the request feature. This feature has been activated for all main stacks, under size, oversize, AV, and general reserve items as well as printed materials in the Education Curriculum Lab. The request feature will be attached to each item in the library online catalog, please note YOU must be signed in to see the request button. Please see image below.
You will receive an email notification from email@example.com when your item is ready for pick up.
- Returning materials: All materials must be returned to the outside book drop and will enter a 7 day quarantine before they are handled by a library staff. Items will remain on your account during this time and will be back dated upon check in when the quarantine period is complete. Any fines and fees accrued during this time will be waved upon check in.
- Course Reserves: Due to AHS restrictions the library is not currently able to process physical course reserves. However, the library is able to assist in the creation of course reserve lists for items that StMU has access to in digital formats. We will also assist with the provision of permalinks to be integrated in course syllabi and D2L environments.
- ILL (inter library loans): The StMU library will continue to process ILL where ever possible. However, we request faculty patience and understanding that many libraries across Canada are closed or have suspended ILL services all together. Though many items may be visible on other library platforms, please be aware that we may not be able to bring it in under the current circumstances. As many libraries have announced closures to at least January 2021, we anticipate disruptions in this area for some time to come. We will continue to source digital materials and document delivery requests when possible. As a reminder please do not submit ILL requests for materials owned by StMU, available through SAIL partnership (UofC, Ambrose, Bow Valley College) or available through the Calgary Public Library system.
- Library Instruction: Although the library will be operated on reduced hours and by appointment only, the library will continue to offer course customized library instruction that can be delivered through your virtual learning environment. Please contact Jessica Macaulay for further information.
- Library Hours:
- Monday , Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 9am to 11am and 1pm to 3pm. These hours are for item pick up and equipment bookings only
- Wednesday we are closed because of lab classes offered on site.
Student Finances: Student Loans, Paying Tuition, and Student Awards
There are some changes to the way that student loans are being administered and the way you can pay your tuition and fees. Verna Wright, Associate Registrar, will be sending all the details shortly, but here are the highlights:
- StMU has just launched a direct banking system. This means you will be able to pay your tuition and fees online through your bank, just like you pay other bills.
- Student loans will be deposited directly to your bank account. This means you need to pay StMU for your tuition and fees.
- StMU does not charge a fee for you to use direct banking to pay your tuition.
- If you want to pay your tuition with a credit card, there will be an automatic 3% fee applied.
Financial Aid and Career Services Support
Jack Nodwell has moved over from Reception to the Financial Aid and Career Service department. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- *Can PSYC 312 students get their own license to the SPSS software to enable taking the class virtually?
Yes. Students will be able to purchase their own SPSS license for use at home.
A 6-month license to IBM SPSS is approximately 70 dollars. Follow the following link for details.
Note: If you would like the 12-month license for Psychology 312-A and 312B, you can welcome to purchase that one for an increased price from the same website. Students should ensure, however, that it is the IBM SPSS “Standard” GradPack and not any lesser version.
- How do new students get access to MyStMU and D2L?
You will receive an email with your network login and email address. Once you have this, you will be able to access D2L. The network account emails comes from email@example.com and includes your username and password.
Your message will look like this:
- What do I do if I have a scheduled in-person class and I can’t attend on campus for medical reasons?
If you have medical or other significant impediments to attending classes in-person, please reach out to Joan.McNeil@stmu.ca to discuss possible accommodations.