Dr. Gerry Turcotte
President, Professor – English
Phone: (403) 254-3701
Office: Fourth Floor, Administration Building
PhD English Literature, University of Sydney
MA English Literature, University of Ottawa
BA (Honours) English Literature, McGill University
Specialization/research interests: Canadian and Australian literature, gothic and speculative fictions, minority discourses and creative writing
- Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal, Government of Alberta (Awarded by Premier Alison Redford), 2013
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary Foundation of Rotary International, 2013
- Awarded Governor General’s International Award for Canadian Studies, 2011
- Past President of the Australasian Council of Deans of Arts and Social Sciences
- Co-editor, The Oxford English Literary History, Oxford University Press, Vol. 12 (forthcoming)
- Two-time President of the Association for Canadian Studies in Australia and New Zealand
- Secretary of the International Council for Canadian Studies for two terms – the first person in the Asian Pacific to sit on the executive.
- Foundation director for the Centre for Canadian-Australian Studies at the University of Wollongong
- Raised over $350 000 in grants for major research projects and other research related initiatives, including a five-year corporate partnership with Canadian telecommunications company, Nortel Networks, which funded a speaker’s series with David Suzuki, Margaret Atwood, and others
- Shortlisted, The Age Book of the Year, for his novel Flying in Silence
- 2006 Carrick Award for Outstanding Contribution to Australian University Teaching (Federal Government)
- 2001 Outstanding Teaching Award, Higher Education. NSW Minister for Education and Training, and Australian College of Education Teaching Award (State Government)
- 2000 OCTAL/Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Contribution to Teaching and Learning, University of Wollongong
- 2004 Winner: New Feature Film Writers Fellowship, Film and Television Office. NSW State Government
- 2002 “The Language Ghosts.” Written and Performed at the Sydney Opera House.
- History of the English Novel: Canada Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific. Oxford: Oxford University Press (forthcoming): co-edited with Coral Ann Howells & Paul Sharrad.
- Peripheral Fear: Transformations of the Gothic in Canadian and Australian Fiction. Bruxelles: P.I.E. Peter Lang, 2009.
- Unsettled Remains: The Postcolonial Gothic in Canada. Co-edited with Cynthia Sugars. Toronto: Wilfrid Laurier Press, 2009. (shortlisted for the Gabrielle Roy Prize for Literary Criticism)
Chapters in Books
- 2012. “As Good as it Gets? National Research Evaluations”, with Robyn Morris. In The Creativity Market: Creative Writing in the 21st Century, ed. Dominique Hecq. Bristol: Multilingual Matters.
- 2012. “Foreword: Shapeshifters Know No Bounds.” In Werewolves and Other Shapeshifters in Popular Culture: A Thematic Analysis of Recent Depictions. North Carolina and London: McFarland & Company.
Select Bibliography of Other Publications
- Literary & Social Diasporas: An Italian Australian Perspective. Bruxelles: P.I.E. Peter Lang, Dec. 2007. (239 pp.) Co-edited with Gaetano Rando.
- Border Crossings: Words & Images. Australia: Brandl & Schlesinger, 2004.
- Hauntings: the ‘Varuna’ poems. Australia: Five Islands Press, 2003.
- Winterlude. Australia: Brandl & Schlesinger, 2002.
- Compr(om)ising Post/colonialism(s): Challenging Narratives and Practices. Co-editor (with Greg Ratcliffe). Australia: Dangaroo, 2001.
- Flying in Silence. Canada: Cormorant Press. 2001. Sole author. Also published in Australia by Brandl & Schlesinger, 2001. Shortlisted for The Age Book of the Year.
- Canada–Australia: 1895–1995: Towards a Second Century of Partnership. Co-editor (with Lois Foster and Kate Burridge). Ottawa: Carleton University Press, 1997.
- Masks, Tapestries, Journeys: Essays in Honour of Dorothy Jones. Editor. Wollongong: CRITACS Press, 1996.
- Jack Davis: The Maker of History. Editor. Sydney: A&R/ HarperCollins, 1994.
- Neighbourhood of Memory: Poems 1984–90. Denmark: Dangaroo Press, 1990.
Chapters in Books
- “First Nations Phantoms and Aboriginal Spectres: The Function of Ghosts in Settler-InvaderCultures”, Postcolonial Ghosts, Montpellier, France: Carnet du Cerpak, 2010: 87–112 (Keynote address).
- Reprints: “‘A Fearful Calligraphy’: De/scribing the Uncanny Nation in Joy Kogawa’s Obasan” in Unsettled Remains: The Postcolonial Gothic in Canada. Co-edited with Cynthia Sugars. Toronto: Wilfrid Laurier Press, 2009. Originally published in Reconfigurations: Canadian Literatures and Postcolonial Identities/ Littératures canadiennes et identités postcoloniales, eds. Marc Maufort & Franca Bellarsi (Bruxelles: Peter Lang, 2002): 123–43.
- Reprints: “Kangaroo Gargoyles: the Gothic in Australia”,Reading Down Under: Australian Literary Studies Reader.Ed. Amit Sarwal and Reema Sarwal. New Delhi: SSS Publications, 2009. Revised reprint of “Footnotes to an Australian Gothic Script”
- “Indigenous Women’s Cinema: Tracey Moffatt & Beck Cole,” The Journal of Commonwealth Literature, Vol. 43, No. 1 (March 2008): 7–21.
- “Ghosts of the Great Southland,” Global South, Vol. 1, No. 1 (Jan 2007): 109-16.
- “Canadian Literature & the Postcolonial Gothic”,Australasian Canadian Studies, Vol. 24, No. 1, 2006: 1–14. (With Cynthia Sugars.)