Admission Requirements

Regarding the cancellation of Alberta diploma exams:
St. Mary’s will accept the final grade as listed on the official high school transcript by Alberta Education for each completed course. Students must still receive an average of at least 65 per cent on five 30-level subjects. Please click below to see more details regarding which classes may be used.

We are glad that you are considering becoming a student at St. Mary’s University. Admission to undergraduate studies may be obtained under one of the following categories.

Still deciding which university to attend this fall?

Apply now to St. Mary’s University for September 2020!

Applicants in this category must have received a high school diploma and must have an average of at least 65 per cent on five 30-level subjects listed. No subject with a mark below 50 per cent may be used.

If missing one of the required subjects or if the admission average is between 60 – 64.9 per cent, an applicant may be considered under the Special Admission category on a case-by-case basis.

  1. 1. English Language Arts 30-1 or ENGL 030 (St. Mary’s University equivalent of 30-1)
  2. One of:
    • Mathematics 30-1, Mathematics 30-2 or MATH 030 (St. Mary’s University equivalent of Mathematics 30-1). Mathematics 31 does not satisfy this requirement.
    • 30-level language other than English
  3. Two of:
    • Aboriginal Studies 30 (5 credits)
    • Biology 30
    • Chemistry 30
    • 30-level language other than English
    • Mathematics 30-1, Mathematics 30-2 or MATH 030 (if not used to satisfy requirement #2)
    • Mathematics 31
    • Physics 30
    • Science 30
    • Social Studies 30-1
  4. One additional approved 5-credit or two 3-credit subjects at the 30-level (excluding Special Projects 30)

Please note that Biology 30, Chemistry 30, and Mathematics 30-1 are required for the Bachelor of Science, 4-year Biology degree program.

St. Mary’s University recognizes that individuals who have followed a non-traditional education path will still possess the capabilities and competencies required to succeed in a post-secondary institution. Home educated applicants will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. To be considered for admission, applicants must provide a written recommendation from an individual other than a parent, such as a home education coordinator, teaching professional or counsellor, commenting on the applicant’s academic readiness for a university-level program of studies.

Home schooled applicants will also be required to submit their Academic Portfolio for the Registrar to review. Portfolios should include:

  1. Introduction. Provide basic information about your homeschool approach or the type of curriculum used. Include any transcripts you may have.
  2. Test Scores. Submit official results from at least one of the following standard tests. English 30-1 with a 65% or better, GED with a minimum score of 525, SAT reasoning test scores of 925. Applicants to the Bachelor of Science must submit scores of 65% or higher for BIO 30, CHEM 30, MATH 30.
  3. Literature List. Include a list of books read during high school years. Include the title, author, and the year the book was read.
  4. Writing Samples. Include writing samples from grades 9 through 12. Include written reports for history, English, science, etc.
  5. Recognition. Include both the award title and a single page outlining the details of the award, including what it took to achieve the award or recognition. Also include letters of recommendations, if applicable.
  6. Extracurricular. Include activities where talents, leadership, and skills shine. Whether the focus is art, dance, drama, music, sport, or other activities.
  7. Work Experience. Any jobs held, apprentice work completed in a specialized field, or internships during the high school years should be recorded in this section.
  8. Volunteerism. Include any community involvement and volunteer service.
Applicants who have completed high school in a Canadian province other than Alberta will be permitted to use equivalent courses to meet admission requirements. The chart here lists courses offered in other provinces that are acceptable for admission purposes in lieu of Alberta 30-level courses. Please contact the Enrolment Services Office if you have questions about admission course equivalencies.

For more information, click here to view the University Calendar.

Applicants in this category will have completed at least 30 credit hours at another post-secondary institution. Applicants with less than 30 completed credit hours will be considered for admission under the High School Standing category.

If post-secondary credit was earned at one of ApplyAlberta’s participating institutions, transcripts will be obtained by St. Mary’s automatically. If the credit was earned at a non-participating institution, the applicant must arrange to have official transcripts forwarded to the University.

Applicants whose post-secondary GPA on at least 30 credit hours is below 2.0 and/or who have been required to withdraw from another institution will be placed on academic probation and limited to three courses in their first term of study. In this circumstance, students must meet with an academic advisor before they are permitted to register.

Students who do not meet the requirements for high school admission or transfer admission may be considered for mature admission. Applicants in this category must:

  • Present an English Language Arts 30-1, or an equivalent, with a minimum grade of 65 per cent or present a GED with a minimum score of 525 in the 5 comprehensive areas
  • Be at least 21 years of age or have been out of school for at least 3 years before the beginning of the semester they wish to commence studies
  • Be Canadian citizens or permanent residents (international students will be considered based on the admissions criteria for international students)
St. Mary’s University is a Designated Learning Institute (DLI Number O19273782872) eligible to accept and enroll international students on a study permit.

If you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you must obtain a valid study permit before you come to Canada.

Note: International Students are not eligible for the Humanities 101 Program.


Applying for a study permit can be a lengthy process. It is recommended that international students begin the admissions process at least three months prior to the term you would like to start in.

  • The application deadline for Fall term is June 1
  • The application deadline for Winter term is October 31

International students are considered on case-by-case bases and must:

  • Apply online at
  • Pay a non-refundable $275 (Canadian) international student application fee
  • Present English Language proficiency results
  • Provide all original transcripts and/or documentation from previous educational institutions, including exact translations from qualified translator of the documentation is not already in English
  • Provide an assessment completed by the International Qualification Assessment Service (IQAS), which compares international educational standard in Canada

Assessment Services are available through:

International Qualification Assessment Service
9th Floor, 9942 – 108 Street
Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5K 2J5
Phone: (780) 427-2655
Fax: (780) 422-9734


To obtain a student permit you must:

  • Apply to St. Mary’s University and have your letter of acceptance
  • Have a valid passport
  • Submit a completed application with the requested fees to the Canadian Embassy or to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) in your country

You must provide proof that you have enough money to pay for your:

  • Tuition fees
  • Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada
  • You must be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate)
  • You will not be a risk to the security of Canada
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies

For more information about obtaining a study permit, visit:


It is important that you subscribe to the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) as soon as you arrive in Canada. You will need an Alberta Health Care Identification Card, Blue Cross Card or another private insurance plan identification card to access the health care system.

Students authorized to stay in Canada for 12 months or longer are required to register with AHCIP. You will be eligible to apply and to receive coverage on the date of your arrival. You must register within 3 months of your arrival in Canada. A copy of your Study Permit and /or your Temporary Resident Visa will be required when you apply for AHCIP.

AHCIP pays for services provided by Physicians (doctors) and oral surgeons. It also pays a portion of the cost of treatment provided by optometrists, chiropractors, podiatrists, and physical therapists. It does not pay for naturopaths, or for medication or ambulance services.

Apply for AHCIP by visiting one of the local registry agents or by mail:
Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
Box 1360 Stn Main
Edmonton, AB T5J 2N3

Additional information can be obtained by calling toll free:
403-310-0000 or visit the website for more information.

If you do not qualify for AHCIP, you may purchase health insurance from a private insurance company such as:

  • Kanetix
  • Bridges International Insurance Services

International students are not covered through St. Mary’s University’s accident insurance plan that covers injuries sustained in campus buildings or on the premises while attending classes on any regular day of classes; while attending or participating in any University activity approved and supervised by an appropriate University authority; while travelling directly to or from any regularly scheduled and approved University activity under the direction or supervision of a proper University authority; and while travelling to or from the insured’s residence and the University for the purpose of attending classes or participating in any University-sponsored activity.


  1. English is the official language of instruction at St. Mary’s University. All applicants, regardless of their citizenship or country of origin, must demonstrate English language proficiency to be considered for admissions to the University.
    Acceptable English Language Tests Bachelor of Education After-Degree BA/BSc and Transfer Programs
    TOEFL iBT Minimum 27 in Speaking, 25 in Writing, 23 in Listening, 23 in Reading 80 with no component score below 19
    TOEFL PBT N/A 550 with no component score less than 50
    TOEFL CBT N/A 213 with no component score less than 17
    IELTS Academic N/A No individual score below 6.0
    MELAB N/A 85
    PTE N/A 59
    CLB N/A Level 8
  2. Students who complete English for Academic Purposes (EAP) with a grade of B or higher at Bow Valley College meet the language requirements of St. Mary’s University.
  3. Applicants who have studied for three full years in Canada must present 65 per cent in English 30-1 or approved equivalent. The three years must include Alberta Grade 12 or equivalent and may be a combination of secondary and post-secondary education. Proof of three years education must be submitted in the form of official transcripts.
  4. Applicants who have studied in Canada but for less than three full years must present 65 per cent in English 30-1 or equivalent and a minimum TOEFL CBT score of 213 or an iBT score of 80. Applicants who achieve 65 per cent or greater in English 30-1 or approved equivalent may be exempt from the TOEFL requirements.


International applicants who have resided in Canada and do not meet the previously stated requirements may take an English assessment test. If the assessment indicates the need to take English upgrading, then English 30-1 must be completed with at least a
65 per cent before the applicant can be admitted to St. Mary’s University. For assessment information contact:

Immigrant Services Calgary
Phone: 403-265-1120

Students who have completed their formal full-time studies at an accredited English post-secondary institution in any of the countries listed below, with proof of education in English, will have satisfied the English Language Proficiency requirement for St. Mary’s University.

  • Anguilla
  • Antigua
  • Australia
  • Commonwealth of the Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Canada
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Fiji
  • Grenada
  • Cooperative Republic of Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Malta
  • Montserrat
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America
  • Republics of Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Zimbabwe
Visiting students are those enrolled in a degree program at another post-secondary institution who wish to take courses at St. Mary’s University for transfer credit. A Letter of Permission from the home institution must be obtained prior to registering at St. Mary’s University.

Visiting students must apply for admission at Upon completion of the course(s), visiting students must request that a transcript be sent to their home institution if their home institution is not a member of ApplyAlberta. If the home institution is a member of ApplyAlberta, it is the responsibility of the home institution to request transcripts on behalf of the student.

Applicants who do not meet the requirements for the other admission categories may be considered for special admission on a case-by-case basis. Students admitted under this category may be placed on academic probation and will be limited to three courses in their first term of study. Students will be required to meet with an academic advisor before registering.
Students who have previously attended St. Mary’s University but who have not registered for one or more years must apply for continuance (re-admission) at

If a returning student has been attending a post-secondary institution that is not a participating member of ApplyAlberta, the student must supply official transcripts from the post-secondary institution when applying for re-admission to St. Mary’s University.