INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADMISSION
International students will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must apply online at apply.stmu.ca. International students must pay a $275 (Cdn) international student application fee; provide all original transcripts and/or documentation from previous educational institutions including exact translations from a qualified translator if the documentation is not already in English; and present English language proficiency.
Obtaining a visa to study in Canada is the sole responsibility of the student. This must be obtained before commencing studies at St. Mary’s University. For more information on obtaining a Canadian student visa, visit cic.gc.ca/english/study/.
English Language Requirement
English is the principal language of instruction at St. Mary’s University. To ensure that students have the best opportunity to achieve academic success, all international applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in English through one of the following:
1. Applicants whose country of origin is outside of Canada or the United States who intend to study in Canada on a study permit (student visa) must normally present one of the following tests of English: (Some countries are considered to be exempt from this policy. Contact the Enrolment Services Office for an up-to-date list.)
- TOEFL, Test of English as Foreign Language » paper based: 550 (no component score less than 50)
- computer based: 213 (no component score less than 17)
- internet based: 80 (no component score less than 19)
- IELTS – Academic, International English Language Testing System: 6.5 (no individual score less than 6.0)
- MELAB, Michigan English Language Assessment Battery: 85
- CAEL, Canadian Academic English Language Assessment: 60
- PTE – Academic, Pearson Test of English: 59
- CLB – Canadian Language Benchmarks: Level 8
2. Students who complete EAP 3 with a Grade of B or higher at Bow Valley College meet the language proficiency requirements of St. Mary’s University.
3. Applicants who have studied for three full years in Canada must present 65 per cent in English 30, English Language Arts 30-1 or approved equivalent. The three years must include Alberta Grade 12 or equivalent and may be a combination of secondary and post-secondary education.
4. Applicants who have studied in Canada but for less than three full years must present 65 per cent in English 30, English Language Arts 30-1 or equivalent and a minimum TOEFL CBT score of 213 (or an iBT score of 80). Applicants who achieve 65 per cent or greater in English 30, English Language Arts 30-1 or approved equivalent may be exempt from the TOEFL requirement.
5. International applicants who have resided in Canada and do not meet the previously stated requirements are required to take the English placement test at Chinook Learning Services and provide the Enrolment Services Office with the result. If the Chinook Learning Services placement test indicates the need to take English upgrading, then a score on the upgrade is required before the applicant can be admitted to St. Mary’s University.